Monday 5 April 2010

The MRI scans

Having started on the hormone therapy the scan appointments come through. Two are ordered. A pelvic scan and a full body scan a week apart. The first is the pelvic scan carried out at St. Mary's Magnetic Resonance Imaging dept. I'm first in at 08.30 so no waiting. Strip off to underpants and don the robe and go through to the MRI suite. Questionaire to make sure I have no metal implants etc and its onto the machine. Having read up on this and been sent a leaflet - nothing to worry about, harmless, no side effects, maybe a bit noisy other than that easy peasy. Well it wasn't that bad as I was not sucked fully into the machine. It was noisy but I was given headphones through which I could occassionally hear classical music when it was not being drowned out by the pneumatic drill like noise of the magnets.

A week on and its the full body scan. This will take longer (up to an hour)and involves imaging the whole body. Over the week I have become increasingly anxious despite my earlier practice. This session was more difficult. As I was moved further into the machine my mouth went dry and a feeling of panic began. With my ankles strapped together and arms pinned down my sides and the curved roof of the machine inches from my face (keep eyes shut throughout)I fought hard to stay still and supress my fear. After all I have been potholing and would be ashamed if I had to press the emergency button that was being gripped increasingly tightly in my left hand.

After 35 minutes I was extracted from the machine and the proceedure was over. Two teas later in the hospital cafe and I was still rattling the cup in the saucer. Strange really as I really thought it would have been easier than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment