Monday 5 April 2010

The biopsy procedure

Not been looking forward to today very much after reading up on this on the Internet. I have taken my first antibiotic tablet before setting off for the hospital. The antibiotics are to counter any infection caused by the biopsy as it involves taking samples via the back passage which is of course a "dirty" area.

A urine sample and blood pressure test are taken first. Blood pressure was ridiculously high something like 185/95 and the nurse had to check if it was OK to do the procedure. I am sure this was simply a mixture of Fear and White Coat Syndrome - I must admit I was pretty wound up.

Ushered in for the procedure where I was introduced to the McMillan nurse who was to be my point of contact from now on and the doctor who got me to sign a disclaimer for the operation.

"Keep your shoes on but drop your trousers and underpants and lay on the couch facing the wall" was the firm but kindly order from the nurse- an impossible operation when it came to attempting to preserve my modesty - but I was soon in position for the doctor to do his initial - you guessed it -digital rectal examination - a piece of cake!

The procedure adopted is called a trans rectal ultrasound biopsy. This involves the insertion of a hollow ultrasound probe through which needles are fired from a special "gun" through the rectum wall. The probe provides a "picture" of the prostate and helps direct the needles.

An initial local anaesthetic is given up the bum and the noise of the needle gun is demonstrated- similar to a staple gun. The samples are then taken from different parts of the prostate - in my case 10 shots. A warning is given before each needle is fired, mainly I think so that the noise does not make you jump. The anaesthetic worked quite well and I felt a momentary prick each time. However the mental tension seemed to mount as I counted up to 10 and I was VERY GLAD when it was done. A quick check to see if any blood was emerging from my penis (no) and advice re coming back if any bleeding or excessive pain. Then off for a cup of tea and 15 minute wind down and final blood pressure test 150/85 (down a bit!). Off home for a few gin and limes to wind down!

No comments:

Post a Comment