Thursday 22 April 2010

First 3 monthly hormone injection

I have had the first of what will be one every three months hormone implants. The drug is Goserelin (Zoladex)which is injected into the abdomen after local anaesthetic. It is in the form of a pellet about 1cm long and 2mm thick and can be felt under the skin. Here is the boring science bit - it is a gonadotrophin releasing hormone super-agonist (GnRH agonist)also known as a lutenizing hormone releasing hormone (LHRH). The effect is to inhibit production of testosterone and estrogen (it is also used in the treatment of advanced breast cancer).
Prostate cancer cells and some breast cancer cells are hormone dependent so when the hormones are eliminated the cancer cells are inhibited.
So how is this making me feel -well pretty good actually. Apart from the dreaded loss of libido (all too evident!)I am feeling OK in myself and have taken a different view on life and the meaning of everything. My wife, family and friends have been very loving and supportive and I have become even more in touch with my feminine side!
If you are reading these blogs I would love you to become a follower - I believe it is painless and will not result in identity theft or anything horrible -just click on the blue follow button at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment