Monday 5 April 2010

Initial visit to GP

Here we go - "I think I may have a prostate problem doc?" A quick run through the symtoms and then the bit I was dreading. "OK I need to carry out a digital rectal examination". I don't know why this should be such a big deal, I suppose it may be that men on balance do not have anything like as many of this type of examination as ladies have to go through?.
Funnily enough now I am committed and likely to get some answers it doesn't seem so bad. I lie on the couch pull my trouser down a bit and face the wall away from the doc. who instructs me to pull my legs up, knees under my chin. The examination lasts a few seconds and at first I think I have disgraced myself by pooing on the couch but it was just the sensation of the finger being withdrawn.
I am informed that the prostate is hard and knobbly and the doctor is obviously worried about it. He makes an appointment for me to see a urologist and arranges for a blood test in a week.My urine is also analysed on the spot and although it shows a few blood cells it is not enough for the doctor to be worried on that score.

No comments:

Post a Comment